Materuni Waterfalls & Coffee Tour (day-trip) – Arusha Trips
Materuni is one of the few villages of wonder in Northern Tanzania sitting at the foot of Mount Kilimanjaro. The village is blessed with full of all the beauty worth much visiting for holiday, week-end outing or vacation. While in the village, scenic view of Moshi Town and Mount Kilimanjaro is astonishing. This green village with fresh air from green vegetations welcomes visitors to explore the beauty of the land and cultural heritage of the Chagga people.
A cultural experience such as banana beer brewed or coffee roasted the traditional way can be added to your hike.
OUR PACKAGE INCLUDES
- Transport by local transportation/private car.
- Village & waterfall fees.
- Local guide.
- Lunch box.
- 1,5l bottle of water.
- Personal items.
- Gratuities / “tip” for the guide.
- About the day trip to the Materuni waterfalls in Moshi area
- The Materuni waterfalls lies in a Materuni, a charming, authentic tribal village that is the home of the Chagga tribe. Materuni is just 15km away from Moshi Town and is the last village before the Kilimanjaro National Park. The waterfall, named after the village is an immense and powerful waterfall that’s definately worth the visit when you’re in Tanzania. From Arusha, the trip will take about 2 hours and just half an hour from Moshi.
- Materuni Waterfalls: What to expect
- You will be picked up in the morning, by our English-speaking Rafiki. He will drive you to Materuni Village. The last part of the drive to Materuni is exciting as you’ll drive up, on a small bumpy road, past beauitful views of the surrounding forests. Upon arrival, you will register at the village office and your trip can begin.
- The Materuni waterfall is around a 40 minute walk away from the starting point. It’s not reachable by car, which makes this trip a bit more adventurous! On your way there, your guide will tell you many tales of the Chagga culture, the village life and explain the surrounding fauna and flora of Materuni. The views are truly breathtaking and with some luck you will see the summit of Kilimanjaro.
- Upon reaching the waterfalls of Materuni, you will notice that’s in impressive 80meters high! The pool at the bottom of the waterfall is an inviting place for a refreshing swim so don‘t forget your swimwear! Try to come close to the waterfall, if you can. The waterfall has immence power and it’s like a small hurricane if you try to come near. Challenge accepted!
- Local Lunch & coffee tour at Materuni
- After having enjoyed the scenery, you slowly return with your guide to Materuni village, where you will experience a traditional Chagga lunch. You also will have the opportunity to taste our local banana beer – definitely not to be missed! After lunch, the coffee experience awaits you. Here you will learn how coffee is cultivated, dried, roasted and further processed.
- You will also be invited to help with the grinding of the coffee, which is traditionally accompanied by Chagga songs and dances – a fun way to immerse yourself in the local culture. Once the coffee is ready, you can drink your own batch!
- Time-tip: Combine the Materuni Waterfalls with the Kikuletwa / Chemka Hotsprings
- The Materuni waterfalls are often combined with a trip to the hot springs as a full day trip. Special prices apply if you’d like to combine these trips. Both are great to do separately for maximum relaxation and enjoyment, but if you don’t have an endless amount of free time, it’s great to combine these two.
- *This Day trip is both possible as a private excursion or it is possible to join a group. If you’d like to join a group. Please send us an enquiry and we will find a group for you to join!